Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Apartment hunting.

Getting an apartment in a place like NYC is so much headache. Not only do I have to be very careful about where I live, so I don't move in to a neighbourhood and realize that its the distribution center for drugs or some other crazy s**t, it's just soooo absudly expensive. All the lovely places I have seen are between 1300-1500 dollars for a 1-br apartment, and yet I don't know why I'm supposed to pay such an amount for a 1-br apt . People are advised not to spend more than 33% of their monthly income on rent, and I'm trying to stay below that percentage or maybe that exact percentage if necessary. I remember telling my father about the amount it would cost me to get an apartment- a 1BR apt- and he seemed momentarily stunned when I told him it was just for a month...lol. It's so ridiculous how much these apartments go for, ummh..I guess the presumption is that all New Yorkers must be well paid...and there is no f**king space left in that city.

Second option, get a house mate. Not likely. After my experience with my Sri Lankan house mate, living with a house mate doesn't seem like an option I would consider...anyway sha, make condition no make crayfish bend, because me I no go bend. I have completely ruled that option out. I had a room mate all through my undergrad. days at UNIBEN and my postgraduate days, and I think its time for me to step up my game..lol. Yes, I need to step up my game and enjoy the peace of having my OWN space and setting it up the way I like. I'll make a few calls, schedule appointments and hope for the best. Someone with definitely fall for my charming smile..lol..and give me a good deal on an apartment. The most annoying part is that all the apartments that have everything I want- dishwasher, laundary in apartment, carpets- no hard wood floors(too cold), fairly large room, close to the subway, good neighbourhood, etc are all quite expensive. Ummh..I do hope I don't get to spend all my salary on rent in NYC. Geez, I wish I could move my present $500 2-br apartment to the city..lol...ummh..that would be so cool. Anyway, I'm hoping to get a cozy place where I can call home, atleast for some time...hope they have a pent house waiting for me..lol. Let the hunting begin !! Wish me luck....I need it.

2 comments:

Omodudu said...

omeone with definitely fall for my charming smile..lol..and give me a good deal on an apartment. ....In NY? Is communting out of the question. Astoria is a nice place too now.

Ozymandias said...

@omodudu: Yea, I'm looking into Astoria and its environs and I hope some thing comes up; But I'm still believeing in my smiles..wink,wink...ummh..maybe not.